Culinary Coordinator Job Description
Culinary Coordinator – Sanctuary Kitchen Catering
CitySeed, New Haven, CT
CitySeed seeks to hire a Culinary Coordinator, responsible for coordinating all aspects Sanctuary Kitchen’s catering events and product development, working closely with CitySeed’s Kitchen Program Manager and Sanctuary Kitchen’s catering chefs. Sanctuary Kitchen is a program of CitySeed, launched in April 2017, which works with refugee and immigrant chefs to build intercultural understanding and provide entrepreneurship support and income-generating opportunities through food.
The Culinary Coordinator will have a background in professional kitchens and good understanding of the business side of the food industry. She/he will work to grow Sanctuary Kitchen Catering, expanding clientele, working closely with Sanctuary Kitchen chefs, keeping close track of finances, monitoring program metrics, managing food procurement, and managing all catering scheduling and systems in the kitchen. Sanctuary Kitchen Catering operates both as social enterprise and a professional training program for refugee/immigrant chefs. The Culinary Coordinator will have ability to work with chefs from a variety of backgrounds, leveraging their cuisine and stories, and ensuring they are an integral part of the program.
● 2-3 years of professional culinary experience: Chef/cooking Experience, food business management, or similar
● Experience managing and scheduling employees in a kitchen setting
● ServSafe Food Manager or equivalent certification
● Experience in project or business finances, including: invoicing, expense tracking, and making financial projections
● Experience managing food procurement, ability to develop relationships with producers and prioritize local produce and products while taking cost, cultural relevance, and quality into consideration
● A working understanding of CT food law, including food business licensing, permitting, and requirements
● Ability to multitask, prioritize activities and work independently
● Ability to communicate effectively cross-culturally
● Valid driver’s license
● Physical requirements: able to lift/carry up to 50 pounds
● Experience working with refugee or immigrant populations
● Enthusiasm for connecting communities through food and a passion for food justice
● Flexibility, maturity and a sense of humor
● Basic understanding of Arabic and/or Spanish a plus
● Responsible for physical execution of all catering events -- catering orders, special events, product sales at Farmers Markets, etc. Responsible for physical execution of all catering events and product development and sales.
● Collaborate with the Kitchen Program Manager and Sanctuary Kitchen Leadership Team to execute other large-scale Sanctuary Kitchen events.
● Building and maintaining Sanctuary Kitchen Catering systems and structures in the kitchen, including procurement, event checklists, and scheduling/logistics
● Managing procurement across all Sanctuary Kitchen food-related events including supper-clubs, classes, etc.
● Maintaining a strong working relationship with all catering chefs, including organizing/attending regular meetings and ensuring inclusivity in all aspect of catering program management
● Developing professional development training curriculum for catering chefs, including: basic culinary training, food safety training, and training for those interested in procurement, financial management, client relations, food presentation, and marketing.
● Managing production schedule and chef schedules
● Working with catering chefs to develop and improve menus, set pricing, and develop food products
● Tracking all expenses for Sanctuary Kitchen Catering and contributing to financial projections quarterly with the Kitchen Program Manager
● Building new retail and wholesale relationships and working with catering chefs to place product
● Working with local authorities to ensure Sanctuary Kitchen Catering meets legal requirements for catering and product sales
● Working with the Kitchen Program Manager and Sanctuary Kitchen Leadership Team to contribute to marketing for the program
● Interfacing with catering clients through execution of catering events
● Coordinating food delivery
Compensation and Start Date: This position will begin in June/July 2018. Compensation commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Candidates may send a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for two references to email@example.com. We will reply with a confirmation email that we have received your application. This position will be posted until filled. CitySeed is an Equal Opportunity Employer and especially invites applications from members of underrepresented groups.
For more about CitySeed visit our website: www.cityseed.org